11.03.2013

Babylon Revisited- one of Fitzgerald's best stories and a bit of a rant from an obsessed reader

"Babylon Revisited" has been cited as one of Fitzgerald's best short stories, and I am not one to argue with that assessment. It is a story of a man who is coming to terms with his past dissipation.  A story of a man who is facing his past misdeeds and trying to put them behind him and make a better world for himself.  In the story he is not trying to justify his past actions, in fact he is fully aware of how damaging they were, and it is because he realizes this that he knows what he needs to do.  However, the rest of the world is unwilling to let him forget the past.  It is a very personal story, one that feels the insight that Fitzgerald had about his life and his own misdeeds.

As I sit here and type about "Babylon Revisited" I want to shout out to all the people I have talked to who have read books on Zelda, and make the generalizations that Scott was just a drunk and how he kept her from the success she should of had.  I want to shout to them -PLEASE  READ SOME OF HIS STORIES- and then come and talk to me.  Read stories like Babylon Revisited, and see that he was more that a blundering drunk. See that he struggled with his actions, see that he agonized over fights he had in his marriage, see that he knew of his faults.  It has always come back to his words, and with his words you see the man who is just trying to make it through his massively fucked up life.

OK, so there is that.  All that is left is for you to read it for yourself.....Babylon Revisited



1 comment:

  1. I loved This Side of Paradise for his depiction of growing up and coming to terms with youthful irresponsibility. Babylon Revisited also sounds great; I'll have to take a look in my collection to see if I have it.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember that I am not a Fitzgerald expert. My posts are my point of view at a specific moment in time, I may get things wrong. Kind words and discussions are always welcomed. If I have made a mistake, politely let me know. I would like to keep Fitzgerald musings a positive experience. Comment Away.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails